The Learning Disabilities Association of Alberta (LDAA) is proud to present the Online version of the Right to Read program.
This course will teach you how to screen for deficits in foundational reading skills: oral language, phonological skills, and print-based skills involved in early reading and then provide interventions to support growth in these areas.
The LDAA has partnered with Foothills Academy Outreach to offer the online version of this course, created to be flexible for professionals who have busy lifestyles, with a learning platform that is open 24/7 and can be accessed in the comfort of your own home. You will be provided with opportunities to complete article readings and reviews, listen to and view videos of experts in the field, and connect with other teachers through group discussions. We will be creating a sense of community throughout both Part 1 and Part 2 of the course where you will have many opportunities to share your practices.
Course Objectives, Outcomes, and Work
The course is split in to 2 parts:
- Part One - The Reading Readiness Screening Tool (7 modules): You will learn about reading research, phonological and phonemic awareness, and the Reading Readiness Screening Tool (RRST). The goal of Part 1 of this course is to provide you with a multi-faceted understanding of the RRST. You will be be required to complete the RRST with a student and submit your results to the course facilitator. You will also be completing quizzes and various assignments throughout Part 1.
- Part Two - Assessment Informs Instruction (10 modules): You will learn how to interpret the results of the RRST and implement reading intervention strategies to support your students based on these results. The goal of Part 2 is to learn how to use the results of the RRST to inform your instruction. You will also be immersed in the foundational skills of reading to increase your competencies in helping children learn to read, including exploration of word skills, text skills, syllable skills, graphemes, phonemes, and phonics. You will also be completing quizzes and various assignments throughout Part 2. You do not need to have access to students in order to learn or apply these interventions immediately.
A note regarding Covid-19: Due to the current pandemic, we recognize that it may be difficult tor participants to directly access early learners or indirectly through video conferencing. As such, we are allowing you to work with a child of any age or to create fictional data. While this is not ideal, the priority of this course is to learn about the tool and the interventions.
Participants are saying:
This training and tool are leading to very good results for our students.
I found it very informative and more in depth than I expected.
Online Workshop Cost and Registration
The course has a learning platform which is available 24/7 and can be accessed from the comfort of your home. Course fee is $300.00 and it includes the RRST, teacher and parent resources.
2021-22 Online Workshops
- Online access from January 1 to April 1 with registration accepted till Feb 1.
- Online access from May 1 to August 1 with registration accepted till June 1.
- Online access from October 1 to January 1 with registration accepted till November 1.
- Click on this link to register at Foothills Academy Outreach.
Group Discounts and Private Classrooms are available as an alternative for groups of 5 or more. We can create a private "classroom" (i.e., cohort) with flexible start and end dates. If you would like to discuss group discounts or private classrooms, please email the Right to Read administrator at .